Friday, May 15, 2009

Grammar Lesson

My endless days as a Dreamday worker are long gone. However, topics like dreams or shoes still seem to appear even in my new life as an English teacher.

I was having an oral exam yesterday with a boy, about 10 years old. I was asking him to make up sentences using difficult words that he had been studying during the last lessons. After a bit of reading and pronounciation exercises, I asked him to make up a sentence using the words "Fewer than". The boy was quick and said:

"I have fewer toys than my brother."

The sentence was correct of course and so we moved on to the next words; "Less than", which is supposed to be used for uncountables, such as sugar, coffee etc.

I asked him if he could make up another sentence using "Less than". The boy thought for a few seconds and then said:

"My dad has less shoes than my mum."

Hm, I said, are you sure? Isn´t it possible to count shoes?

No, he said, my mum has so many shoes it is impossible to count them...

I guess you just have to give him right for that, don´t you?

2 comments:

Hope said...

And so they finally give you the lessons on how to become a good performer and how to carry on with it in a proper professional manner. Therefore... Studying a musical instrument is about learning how to become good at something. 3, Symphony no. This is how to play the a chord on piano;

Antwanibkv said...

And so they finally give you the lessons on how to become a good performer and how to carry on with it in a proper professional manner. Therefore... Studying a musical instrument is about learning how to become good at something. 3, Symphony no. This is how to play the a chord on piano;