Friday, May 01, 2009

The Dreamdayproject Back in Crime!

I committed my first crime when I was eight months old. I was on the first page of the local newspaper with the headline: "Krystallia, eight months old and already a criminal!" (Yes it is true!)

They let me go with a fine of something like 80SEK that time and I have tried to keep on the right side of the law ever since.* Until a couple of weeks ago...

What happened almost exactly two weeks ago was not a crime committed during any moment of confusion or adrenaline. It was all planned into detail. As a matter of fact, the more I had thought about it, the more sense it all made. This was in fact the perfect crime and I had no choice but to carry through with the plan.

I eventually involved my boyfriend in the plot as well as a visiting friend from the US and one late night the three of us were ready to strike. As the perfect criminal I am, I also convinced the guys to do the dirty work whereas I could take a step back and purely serve as the brain behind the crime.

It all went exactly as planned. There were some stressful seconds, a few worried looks around our shoulders, but suddenly we all turned ice-cold and got down to business. It was over in less than 10 seconds. There were a couple of witnesses to the scene further away in the park, but we managed to stay cool and after the short operation was over, we walked away with our loot in our hands as if nothing had happened. We came home, closed the door and took a deep breath.

Then came the part that you usually don´t hear so much about; the cleaning up, the removal of all traces and a few moments of remorse. But when we all looked at our acquisition it was all forgotten. We had indeed committed the perfect crime.

So let me introduce you to my first outlaw in our garden:



And if one day I would be caught by the Mexican police, this is what I would say on my defense:

"This tree was badly mistreated in the park where it used to be. I had seen it for weeks and it was always thirsty and sad. That cannot be a Dreamday for a tree, can it? I think it will be happier with me in my garden, that is why I did it." (And if they still would find me gulity, I guess I would just blame the guys...)

The tree looked a little rough at first but I am can now happily report that it is recovering amazingly quickly and every day it puts out new leaves.

* If I remember right (my memory of this crime is slighlty more blurry...) my birth had not been registered to the authorities in Greece. Nothing you would be put to prison for, but during my first eight months I was an outlaw.



10 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh my goodness, did this make me laugh!!!! You are quite the English-language storyteller, dear Krystallia!

Do I guess correctly that this crime involved our lanky, Swedish-speaking Chicagoan?!

I love how you made us wait to the end of the blog entry to find out how you lived as an outlaw at eight months old. I did similarly--my "social security" number was mis-written for the first 17 or so years of my life. I only found out when I was applying to college. Those 1s and 7s look alike when you don't cross them...which I have done ever since living in Europe!

I am also relieved to hear you are fine with the swine flu afoot. Give your new plant a mask!

Kram, B

Krystallia Sakellariou said...

Hi Brittany!

I am flattered about what you wrote about my writing! This post is quite short but it still took me a while to write, but in the end I was happy with how it turned out too:-)

Yeah, of course it was our friend from Chicago! (I am not mentioning any names here though, just to be on the safe side...)

Ah and by the way, my parents sent me pictures of the newspaper from 1978, so I just posted them at the very end of the post if you want to check them out. ( And I realized I had made a mistake, I was just six months old at the time of the first crime...)

Hope all is well i NY!

Många kramar!
K

B said...

That is so great, that picture of the newspaper!

Yes, I was all set to name names, and then I realized: this isn't email! (I trust email security more than I should, I'm sure.)

But, in the end, you have been brave: your name is on the crime on this blog, so you have valiantly protected the men after all!

In short, I am jealous: I want to come to Mexico and liberate trees, too! I emailed the tall one and he said he had a wonderful time there--constant great weather and companionship.

Until my next email!
B

Frida Noren said...

Wow - you´re so cute in the paper! It´s wonderful to read a local newspaper, who lets news like this get the front page!

Krystallia Sakellariou said...

Haha yeah I know what you mean:-)
Just too much about the swine flu these days...

John_E said...

The ends justify the means! What a lovely little tree. Don't let the AGUAAAA guy see it or he'll rat you out.

K-R-A-M
John

equisy said...

Hi Krystallia,
Great story! You grab my attention from the very beginning. But, I don't think that in Mexico is consider a crime for stealing and saving a poor dying tree, or the contrary the criminals are the city authorities for not maintaining and preserving public green spaces.

Greetings from
Mexico City

Gabriel I.

Krystallia Sakellariou said...

Hi Gabriel!
Thanks, good to know I am not wanted in Mexico City:-)
I mean, you as a journalist could make a big thing out of this if you wanted...:-)

equisy said...

Krystallia,
Yeah, I could make a big thing out of your story, but with the only purpose to bring conscience on environmental issues.

Best,
Gabriel

Dawn said...

Hi Brittany! I am flattered about what you wrote about my writing! This post is quite short but it still took me a while to write, but in the end I was happy with how it turned out too:-) Yeah, of course it was our friend from Chicago! (I am not mentioning any names here though, just to be on the safe side...) Ah and by the way, my parents sent me pictures of the newspaper from 1978, so I just posted them at the very end of the post if you want to check them out. ( And I realized I had made a mistake, I was just six months old at the time of the first crime...) Hope all is well i NY! Många kramar! K